Tuesday 3 September 2013

Wonder Woman #23 - Review

Wonder Woman #23

Writer:
Brian Azzarello

Art:
Cliff Chiang

What do I need to know before reading this issue?

The original WW New 52 team of Azzarello and Chiang are back in Wonder Woman #23 to bring you an action packed and thoroughly amazing issue. We left issue #22 knowing that Wonder Woman was going to be going hand-to-hand with the First Born and issue #23 does not disappoint. If you have read previous issues you would understand that the First Born has re-emerged and is pretty keen to avenge the way he has been treated over the years. Of course Wonder Woman, Orion, the God of War, Zola, Hera and Zeke are caught in the middle of the battle to come.

What can I expect from this issue?

A brilliantly written and drawn confrontation between the First Born and Wonder Woman with the God of War on her side.This is an issue that will keep you on the edge of your seat. I was a particular fan of War's little trick to balance the fight between the First Born and Wonder Woman. It was a really surprise to see and rarely am I surprised by what turns up in superhero comic books these days. I think when you have a great writer like Azzarello writing for Wonder Woman, great twists are what you can expect. But more so, I really liked the relationship that was formed between the God of War and Wonder Woman. You can tell they share a deep bond and that really comes out in Chiang's artwork.

What did I like about this issue?

Just about everything. Chiang's art continues to develop WW as a strong yet vulnerable and humane character. Azzarello and Chiang give her a depth not seen in other superheroes. That's probably why this series of WW remains the best of The New 52 releases by DC.

What did others think about this issue?

I agree with this reviewer from Comic Vine...the best WW issue of all time...

Comic Vine Review 

This is issue now forms part of the trinity of perfection...

IGN Review 

What do I give this issue?

Grade A+

This issue for me is the best in this series so far. I am just so impressed that even after 23 issues, Wonder Woman is still the benchmark in comic book writing for me as has been since Azzarello and Chiang turned this character into something quite wonderful in 2011!


No comments:

Post a Comment