Thursday 11 July 2013

Dawn - The Swordmaster's Daughter & Other Stories - Review

Dawn - The Swordmaster's Daughter & Other Stories (One-Shot)

Writer and Artist:
Joseph Michael Linsner

What do I need to know about Dawn?

It has been years since I have picked up Joseph Michael Linsner's (JML) work on Dawn. I understand that this is the first comic book he has written in the last 3 years. To understand Dawn properly you really need to read three graphic novels; Lucifer's Halo, Return of the Goddess and Three Tiers. In a nut-shell what you will come to learn is that Dawn is a Goddess, the Goddess of birth and rebirth. She is intimately connected to the Horned God, the God of Death. The God of Death has taken human form and his name is Darrian Ashoka.


Before I share my thoughts about this one-shot issue, I'll just make a few comments about this character for new readers. Dawn is a complex character, surrounded by imagery that has particular meaning. For instance, the red rose she wears represents Hell. She has three distinctive tears streaming from her left eye, the meaning of which is explained in more detail in earlier graphic novels. With JML's distinct style of drawing, Dawn is highly recognisable in the world of comic books. There is no mistaking her on sight.

I first started reading Dawn when I started getting back into comics and graphic novels some 8 years ago. She was a hard character to start with and I wasn't sure if JML's style of illustration would grow on me, but once I tried my hand at interpreting this character and the larger story she was a part of, I couldn't get enough. Dawn is JML's signature character and over time you come to learn that this character has a deeper personal meaning to JML. This for me gives Dawn substance and meaning.

Dawn also represented for me the extremes of the 'bad girl art' period of the late eighties and nineties, which I was curious about. Another example of this is Brian Pulido's Lady Death. It was comic book art that pushed the boundaries a bit when it came to drawing tough female comic book characters, and that appealed to me.


So what can you expect from this One-Shot issue?

Three short stories; The Swordmaster's Daughter, Samsara and The White Phoenix all in one issue. The first page appears to be an interpretive piece for readers. JML does this for his readers which I think is amazing. Before this story starts you are introduced to a piece of work that makes you think about Dawn present state of mind. She is drawn in this black dress embossed with skulls. She is surrounded by imagery that that makes you wonder whether all is well in an existence between heaven and hell.

Taken from a Samurai folktale, the Swordmaster's Daughter incorporates Dawn and Darrian into this story. Darrian becomes this excellent warrior ever influenced by Dawn's presence and affection. JML's characters are drawn with expressions that make this fantasy tale better than most fantasy tales where storytelling plays second fiddle to drawings focused on hot women yielding heavy weapons and armour. There is great storytelling here that you will enjoy.


Samsara and The White Phoenix are really short stories requiring interpretation that I feel is only possible with a strong understanding of the characters. Whilst this is a great treat for long-time Dawn fans like myself, new readers may find these two short fables harder to follow simple because they are very short. My tip for readers is to study JML's art work.

I simply can't get enough of JML's Dawn and I am excited to see that Dawn will be returning later this year in another one-shot black & white issue titled Sinful Suzi. Then in 2014, JML will be releasing a new Dawn series for us titled Always Darkest. I am really looking forward to more of his work. JML is quite the storyteller in both his writing, and his skill as an artist.

I have included some additional art work featured on the Internet that I could find that illustrates my point about JML's illustrations of Dawn as interpretive pieces.  

What did others think of this issue?

There is only one decent review I could find by Comic Bastards that is quite fair in its opinions...

Comic Bastards Review

So what do I give this issue?


Grade: B+ 

I think this is a great start to JML's return after three years and I look forward to seeing more this year and next year. JML fans would do well to add this issue to their collection. Enjoy.








No comments:

Post a Comment