Wednesday 17 July 2013

Sheltered #1 - A Pre-Apocalyptic Tale - Review

Sheltered #1 'A Pre-Apocalyptic Tale'

Writer:
Ed Brisson

Artist:
Johnnie Christmas

What Image Comics has to say about Sheltered #1...

A pre-apocalyptic tale of survival at any cost. The men and women of Safe Haven have been preparing for any-and-all end of world scenarios for years. However, their bunkers, weapons and training can’t save them from the one threat they never could have expected: Their own children.

What can you expect from this issue?

A well written comic book that moves at a steady and rewarding pace. This story is unlike many tales of impending disaster, it centres on the preparation and planning that takes place prior to a zombie apocalypse, a nuclear holocaust etc. From this perspective Brisson and Christmas take you into the mindset of the adults trying to prepare for an event that will change life as they know it. Safe Haven (aptly named) is a community of families working together to figure out the best way to survive what is about to come. Of course the interesting twist comes at the end of this issue, and happens in the most unexpected way. All I will say is that the children of Safe Haven have other plans it seems.

What did I think of this issue?

I really like the pace and the sense of isolation that sets the mood for this comic book. Immediately, I felt this title was going to be a little different from the moment I started reading it. Brisson and Christmas really do quite well to present the different attitudes people are likely to have to an impending apocalyptic event. Of course the intensity heats up as soon as a gun-shot rings out from within the woods. The adults of Safe Haven are quick to act. They are acting against an enemy they did not expect. And that is where you are drawn into the story and of course future issues. I can't wait for issue #2.

This comic book series is one for the collection because it is taking a very different angle on a theme that has been done to death; this story is extremely engaging. I mean it is brilliant, thought-provoking and emotive at times. This issue is well thought out and that comes out in both the writing and illustration. The heavy contrasts in the art work is always appropriate to the unfolding circumstances. The art work is gritty, with heavy lines at times, but it perfectly suited to the story being told. There are few comic book issues that invite you to re-examine the story after you have read it to ensure there wasn't something you missed. I found myself re-reading the issue for clues. Few comic books inspire me to do that. 

I totally recommend this title and hope that future issues continue to reveal interesting and engaging story developments.


What did others think of this issue?

Other reviewers are giving this issue top marks, and so do I. This is one title you should start to collect now. I have not reviewed the title 'Revival' for my readers yet but I will. I put this comic book up there with that amazing title also.

This is what Comic Vine had to say...

Comic Vine Review 

Comic Bastards never get it wrong, that's why I have included their thoughts in my blog...

Comic Bastards Review 

The simple truth is this, Image Comics have been putting out some brilliant publications of late. I am really engaging with the stories they are backing. Sheltered is showing signs of being an award winning comic.

So what do I give it?

Grade: A

Sheltered #1 is amazing.

Enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment